Saturday, November 7, 2009

I want a bean feast.

Veruca Salt really wanted a bean feast, whatever that is. I imagine what many presumably would: a huge, Last Supper style table adorned with every type of bean found in the United Kingdom, Asia, Africa, and the Americas mounded onto expensive white china. With two dozen twelve year-old girls in velvet party dresses and white stockings rushing the table, scratching their way to the garbanzos, ripping the oversized bows out of each others' hair to get to the adzuki beans first, and pushing the unpopular girl's face into a mountain of kidney beans while chorusing, "JEANIE CANNELLINI! JEANIE CANNELLINI!" 

Though I'm not especially interested in bean-feasting, what I do want, in an undeniably vain and Veruca Saltish way, is Fiestaware. Fiestaware, for those who do not regularly read the kitchenware section of the Macy's catalogue, is an irresistibly colorful outfit of platery. Platery is not a word but I like the way it sounds, so I'll keep using it. I suspect that Fiestaware has a sort of cult following. And I suspect that I am part of this cult. Well, in any case I really hope that there's a cult so that I haven't been fertilizing an irrational platery fixation by making my girlfriend drive me to the mall, out of her way, to compare prices of the "Shamrock" 10 1/2 inch dinner plates to the ones priced on Amazon.com.

I think that Fiestaware might induce in me some sort of chemical brain reaction. It's the novelty of its bold uni-coloring. It's sleek and unassumingly sexy like that boy in high school who the entire student populace giddied over; the guy who performed better-than-decently in a non-quite-fabulous sport like pole-vaulting. Or golf. No, probably not golf, but maybe lacrosse. But not in Canada because lacrosse is too, you know, en vogue there. I think they have lacrosse players printed on their money, actually.

If you haven't yet checked out Fiestaware, 'tis almost the season to watch A Christmas Story on TNT- repetitively. Ralphie's family dines on some Fiestaware dinner plates! Clearly this is not the most memorable part of the movie for most fans, but it makes me seriously happy.

Ta for now,
Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment